Blended learning postponed

An e-newsletter from Mounds View Public Schools

August 20, 2020

Dear Mounds View Public Schools community,

As you know, we are facing unprecedented times. Across the country, states are struggling to find the most effective and appropriate way for schools to reopen, knowing it’s impossible to satisfy everyone. In Mounds View Public Schools, we know this is an effort we simply cannot get wrong. The physical and mental health of our staff, students and parents is too important to ignore.

We want to make the best decision we can with the information we have from the state and our local community. What we’ve heard is that many staff and families do not feel safe returning to school in a blended learning model, even if all of the safety protocols the District has communicated are followed. As the School Board recently stated at their meeting this week, we recognize that people have concerns, and we hear them.

In response to the concerns expressed by staff, students and families, we will open the school year using the distance learning model, instead of the blended (hybrid) learning model as originally planned. We want to take this time at the start of the school year to demonstrate that our plans meet or exceed the safety requirements from the Minnesota Department of Health and Minnesota Department of Education for the reopening of schools. During this time, we will be working with staff, students and families to make sure that those who are planning to return in person can do so safely and confidently.

How will this work?

  • Families should expect all students will be in distance learning through September 18.
  • Families will receive communication no later than September 18 about next steps for returning to school for blended learning.
  • Schools will explain what the return to school will look like, and when it will occur, with as much advance warning as possible.
  • Families choosing blended learning should continue to plan for their students to eventually attend school in the cohort groups already announced (Group 1: M/W, Group 2: T/Th).
  • Please note: Local health conditions could prevent a return to school at any time if COVID-19 case counts show 30 cases or more per 10,000 in Ramsey County.

Like any decision related to school reopenings these days, we expect mixed reactions from our community. However, the safety of our students and staff remains our top priority. We believe having this extra time at the start of the school year will allow us to demonstrate our readiness to reopen our schools and provide peace of mind to those staff members and families who may not otherwise have felt safe returning. Our goal remains to transition staff and students back into safe and healthy environments. We look forward to our exceptional teachers and staff doing what they do best -- teaching and supporting students in person as soon as possible.

We thank you for your patience and understanding as we continue to navigate our road to reopening. Please look for more information from your school principal the week of August 31.


Chris Lennox


Para asistencia en traducciones ó ayuda como intérprete, por favor llama 651-724-2854. Yog xa tau kev pab thiab hais ua lus Hmoob thov hu rau 651-724-0396. Haddi aad ubaahantahay faahfaahin dheerad ah ama turjumaad, fadlan kala 651-724-7482.